What do I put in my taxonomy?

• 26 April 2023
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 6

In onboarding, we love helping new Bynder clients to build their taxonomy. But if you are out of onboarding, or want to update your taxonomy with your changing business, it can be hard to know where to start. Changing from a folder structure to a taxonomy for organizing your assets has a great many advantages, but it can be a big conceptual shift. 

You do not need any special knowledge or training to build a good solid taxonomy. You know your business, and how you refer to your assets internally. Ask yourself and your users: how do I want to search for these assets? 

A taxonomy does not have to be complicated! You are not recreating the Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus. We’ve seen plenty of successful portals with 10 to 20 metaproperties – the thing to do is choose the metaproperties that capture the information that is most important to your core business. 

Below are some ideas for common Bynder metaproperties and metaproperties by use case to get you started. 

If you have any unique or interesting metaproperties in your DAM that might be useful for other clients, post them in the comments.

Most Common Bynder Metaproperties 

Asset Type

Asset Sub-Type

Channel / Audience

Agency

Creator / Photographer / Videographer

Usage Rights / Rightsholder / Rights Notes

Department / Business Unit

Campaign

Expiration Month / Expiration Year

Visible To
(for managing restrictions)

Product-Based Use Cases         Project-Based Use Cases   People-Based Use Cases Location-Based Use Cases

Brand

Project Name

Person /
Spokesperson / Celebrity /

Continent / Region

Product Category

Project Number

Demographic

Country

Product Name

Project Location

Audience